Sunday, October 25, 2009

First visitor-- Mom!

Even before I had booked my ticket to Madrid, my Mom had found an amazing deal-- flight out of Phoenix for $200.  Many people asked her, "Are you sure it's roundtrip?" and in fact it was.  We had a wonderful time exploring Madrid and the surrounding areas, eating good food, drinking good wine and chatting up a storm -- like mother, like daughter...  She even came to school one day and met all my wonderful students  (makes you miss teaching, doesn't it Mom?)  It was a relief to see a familiar face and exciting to show someone around my new "home."  Being a tourist in your own city gives you the chance to do all the things you typically wouldn't do:  visit the museums and attractions, eat at the "tourist" restaurants, take the silly pictures, etc. 


Parque Retiro on a gorgeous day!


Statue in Parque Retiro


Cathedral


Palacial Fountain



Temple de Debod


Sol (my neighborhood)-- Km. 0:  The point at which all roads in Spain are measured from


No trip to Spain would be complete without churros and chocolate!



Although I was ecstatic to see my Mom, I was also excited to see all the rest of my things (i.e. my clothes and shoes!) that didn't make it in the initial move.  Even more so, seeing all my beloved American essentials that they don't have here made it feel like Christmas in October!  Doesn't the old saying go, "You don't realize what you have until it's taken away from you..."  I didn't realize how much I'd miss peanut butter, Orbit gum and the standard ice cube tray.  Yes, you read correctly.  Ice cube trays.  You have no idea...


The motherload... and to think there was twice that plus my clothes not in the picture!



Coincidentally, at the same time my Mom was here, my college roommate was also passing through.  It had been a few years since we had seen each other so we had lots to catch up on... the gossip continues even 5 years after we've graduated!  Although we didn't find a crescent moon to take a picture with (Go, Go Gamma Phi) we did take the classic Arches photo... be on the lookout, Loggers!







I can't wait to welcome even more visitors into my home and my new city.  Please, come and stay a day or two or even a week (as long as you bring some candy along...), I'd love to see you all.


Plaza Mayor


Living the good life...



Abrazos de Madrid,  Linds

1 comment: