Thursday, November 11, 2010

America's Favorite Cities 2010

Travel and Leisure, a magazine that I always thumb through in the airport, recently came out with a list of American's Favorite Cities.  They picked 35 cities from across the country and ranked them on their culture, food, shopping, nighlife, etc.  I found it very ironic that this article just came out since many of the cities listed are ones that have been on my "wish list" of places to move back to.  Embedded in the article is a tool where you can compare two cities to each other.  So, of course, I spent the next hour seeing how Portland vs Seattle, San Francisco vs San Diego, and San Juan, PR vs anything stacked up. 

Here are a few highlights:

Portland: #1 for summer, microbrew beer, farmer's markets, intelligent people, environmental friendliness and public parks (hence why I want to move here...)

Seattle:  worst for any season other than summer (duh...), but high up for coffee bars, skyline views and intelligent people.  Not really many surprises here.

San Diego:  #1 for weather, and also high for athletic and attractive people (why am I not moving here??)

San Juan, PR:  This one really cracked me up.  Having lived on the island for 2 years, there were many things I knew it was known for (highly ranked for good weather, spending the winter, romantic escape, and happy hour) but two things that San Juan was highly ranked for I can assure you are false:  New Years and attractive people.  Let me explain both.  Spending New Years in San Juan might rank in the bottom 2 of places I've ever spent it (with the bottom being at home when I was 14).  Nothing was open and what was closed at 1 am (when most places in PR stay open till 4 or 5 on a regular night).  It was a complete let down.  Not worthy of making the list AT ALL.  And attractive people?  Just because someone is tan and in a bikini does not qualify them for being attractive.  Now, if you only took the cross section of people that live in Rincon and surf everyday, this might be correct.  But PR has to have one of the highest obesity rates of any place I've ever been and unless you like men with long, greasy mullets, this is not a place to find a significant other.
 
If you'd like to see the article for yourself (and not just my commentary on it) you can find it at the following link:  http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-cities/2010

As you can see, it looks like Portland suits me the best.  Not that I haven't known that since July...but this was some good reassurance.

Cheers!  Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment