Monday, April 5, 2010

Ireland

Ireland had always been a place I wanted to go but just never thought I'd make it there.  But, when my newly-single best friend from grade school, Calli, decided she wanted to come over for her first European adventure, I told her to pick any place in Europe (expect Spain) and I'd meet her there.  She chose Ireland.  It couldn't have been a better choice. 

We based ourselves in Dublin and spent a few days exploring and drinking our way around the city.  We went to all the classic sights:  Trinity College, Book of Kells, St. Patrick's Cathedral, St. Stephen's Green, Guinness Storehouse and Brewery and Jameson Distillery.  We spent many nights in the Temple Bar district, watching live music, meeting people from around the world, and drinking amazing beer! We rented a car and drove down to the Rock of Cashel and Kilkenny.  The following day we drove over to the western side of the country and visited Galway and the Cliffs of Moher.  The countryside was so gorgeous and green, something you would miss if taking a train or bus.  We got lost a few times but our trusty GPS, along with the helpful locals, always guided us back on track.   For someone with my pickiness in regards to eating, this was my mecca.  Meat and potatoes?  Yes, please.  And with a good beer?  I'm in heaven.

One of the best parts of the trip was the most unexpected.  Two great friends of mine that I taught with in Puerto Rico are now living in San Salvador, El Salvador.  They randomly told me a few days before I was to leave that they would be taking a group of students on a trip to Dublin for a week and it just so happened to be the same week I would be there!!  It was so fun to catch up with them, swap stories and be back together again, albeit on another continent.  I miss them dearly and I hope to visit them in Central America soon! 

Coincedentally, I also heard that Cheryl and Scott (another couple I know from Puerto Rico) would be in Dublin for a day while I was there.  We had a nice time catching up, having a few drinks, and buying some jewelry :)

After all my friends had left I had a couple days left until I had to go back to Madrid so I decided to go up to Northern Ireland, more specifically Belfast.  It was quite the experience to be in a place where in my lifetime The Troubles (a civil conflict that raged from 1969 to the late 1990's) had claimed thousands of lives, even as recently as 2001.  Many innocent people, mostly Roman Catholics, died on the streets of Belfast.  Bombing, assassination and street violence became a way of life for many people and my eyes were opened when speaking about that time with the owner of my hotel.  He said he has vivid memories of being a child in the 70's and being barracaded out of the city.  Tanks and armed men would patrol his neighborhood and he feared for his life on more than one occasion.  Now, the city is like any other, with restaurants, bars, parks and schools.  While it wasn't the most exciting city, it was interesting to walk the same streets that were the sites of so much bloodshed a few years back.

It was the perfect time to be in Ireland and a wonderful and relaxing way to spend Spring break.

(click on the photo below to view the album)


Ireland Blog


Slán go fóill, Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment